Friday, July 30, 2010

I love Phlegm!

Phlegm is such a mensch! He and I spent an hour outside of Melvina's apartment, singing the entire song list from the musical, "Mamma Mia", until she finally forgave me for deserting her, passed out and spread-eagled in the lobby, after that distastrous Jell-O shot HEAT meeting a few weeks ago.

The three of us continued our sing-along on the taxi ride to the Moe Howard Jewish Community Center (until the cabbie made us stop, the killjoy). Our spirits were so high that I didn't even flinch when I saw Meshuggenah Earl waiting for us. He had a new tinfoil hat on, shaped like a swan, which seemed appropriately festive for the night's meeting.

Phlegm asked lots of questions about my Helfanism. He thinks there may be a Helfan in his family tree, which would explain why the men in his family never crack the 5'6" ceiling. I've suggested he research it some more, see if there's a little person in his distant ancestry who could have been an elf. Wouldn't that be exciting!

He asked me about my own elfin father, and I told him what little I know: that he was a carny worker nicknamed Lobo, he got my mom preggers in the parking lot of her high school, and soon after that he left town never to return. I have no photos of him, though lately I've been picturing him as a very short John Wayne.

I didn't tell them about the other elf I know. That's a story for another day, and I may need a fair amount of Jell-O before I'm ready to share it.

1 comment:

  1. Please send notification of next HEAT meeting. I have played matzoh ball soccer (I'm great at right chicken wing) and am sure I can learn gefilte fish soccer quickly. Don't be too hard on those frat boys. There's so much you can do with Jello. Teach them new ways and they'll be in HEAT forever.

    ReplyDelete

Love the elf, love the self!